No one ever wants to be sick during holiday. Keeping yourself healthy before and during your trip will keep this from happening. Learn what you can do to safeguard you and your family from illness.
Use Hand Sanitizer Often
Hand sanitizer has alcohol in it that kills virus-causing illnesses. Viruses live on every surface imaginable so it’s important to keep your hand sanitizer nearby when you are about to place your hands near your mouth, nose and eyes, which is how most viruses enter the body.
Increase Vitamin C
When viruses enter your body the immune system steps into action to battle them away so you don’t get sick. If your immune system is not healthy and strong, it will not be able to keep the virus from making you sick. One of the best ways to keep your immune system functioning efficiently is to make sure you ingest an adequate amount of Vitamin C.
If you don’t eat enough Vitamin C rich foods, consider taking a Vitamin C supplement.
If you suffer from bloating, gassiness and cramps when you fly consider taking magnesium supplements or eat magnesium-rich foods such as nuts and whole-wheat products. The magnesium relaxes your stomach muscles so it decreases bloat, which relieves gas and cramps.
With the dry air of an airplane and the increase in physical activity during trips, it is important to drink a lot of water. Water helps flush out toxins from your body and it also keeps you from feeling ill because your body doesn’t become dehydrated.
- Eating junk food and other empty calorie foods during vacation can make you feel ill because your body isn’t getting the nutrients it needs to keep up with everything you are doing.
- Don’t overeat either because that will make you sick. Try to keep your eating at or just a little above what you normally do when you are on a trip and you won’t have to worry about an upset stomach.
Trips can be exhausting and that wears your body down making it more vulnerable to illness. Sleep when you need to and try to take it easy while you are out. Remember, this is a vacation not a race to see as many things as possible in a short amount of time.
Wear Appropriate Clothing
- Being under the sun for hours can lead to sunstroke, headaches and nausea. Bring along your sun hats and light clothing for the warmer weather.
- If you are taking a trip during the winter months, you are just as vulnerable to illness due to the weather. Make sure you have warm jackets, hats and gloves and use them.
Don’t Forget Sunscreen
To go along with spending time under the sun, don’t forget your sunscreen. Suffering from a sunburn is not enjoyable on a trip and it won’t do your skin and health any good either.
Check with Your Doctor
- Make an appointment with your doctor before you take a trip. He can give you a physical to make sure you are able to make the flight and engage in the activities you have planned.
- Also, ensure you have enough of your prescription medication for your trip. You don’t want to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms because you can’t refill your prescriptions.
- Alcoholic drinks can dehydrate you and cause you to feel ill. Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation and drink enough water to counteract the dehydrating effect of them.
- Keep in mind that mixing alcoholic drinks is one of the reasons many people experience a hangover the next day, so stick to one type of drink and you will have an easier time.
A Safe and Healthy Trip
Your holiday is important to you. Take care of yourself and you will enjoy it much more. Take these suggestions and keep yourself well. You’ll thank yourself when you get home and look back on one of the best trips you’ve ever taken.